Overview – Disease and Terrorism
It is no secret that people around the world are being deluged daily with frightening news about new strains of viruses and bacteria that are, or could be, causing contagion on a massive scale.
- Ebola outbreak in Western Africa
- Antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria (superbugs)
- Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)
- Avian influenza (bird flu)
Antibiotic resistance to pathogenic organisms in humans is a serious and growing phenomenon in contemporary medicine and has emerged as one of the preeminent public health concerns of the 21st century.
A World Health Organization report released on April 30, 2014 states, “This serious threat is no longer a prediction for the future, it is happening right now in every region of the world and has the potential to affect anyone, of any age, in any country. Antibiotic resistance–when bacteria change so antibiotics no longer work in people who need them to treat infections–is now a major threat to public health.”
The above facts, coupled with terror groups threatening to deploy biological weapons, are heightening the awareness of governments and general populations around the globe.
Because of this, PRIMUS believes that the demand for PRIMUS BDW steam sterilizers will be a growing trend for many years.
Common Uses of PRIMUS BDW Steam Sterilizers
PRIMUS BDW steam sterilizers have historically been employed by many different types of end users to assure that potentially infectious waste products are properly treated prior to disposal in a landfill:
- Hospitals – hospital waste sterilization, destruction, and regulated medical waste treatment for safe disposal
- International Airports – sterilization and disposal of food waste from international flights
- BioPharmaceutical Companies – pharmaceutical waste processing
- General Laboratories – sterilization of microbiological laboratory lab waste
- Regional Medical Waste Processing Centers – medical waste disposal companies providing safe and efficient large-scale processing
Properly controlling biological waste products is a critical part of public health in the United States and throughout the world.
Steam sterilization plays a vital role in avoiding conditions that may have severe adverse effects on public health and the environment.
Additionally, the proper storage, collection, and transportation of infectious wastes are key elements in this effort.
PRIMUS BDW Sterilizers
PRIMUS provides BDW steam sterilizers that are designed for small, medium, and large facilities. Typically, PRIMUS BDW steam sterilizers are simple in design and without “the bells and whistles” found on more complex units.
PRIMUS steam sterilizers are a safe and cost-effective means for facilities to treat biological waste on-site. This makes it much easier to dispose of biological waste when it is treated close to the source. Steam sterilization can also be provided at a considerably lower price than expensive incinerator waste treatment technologies.
Advantages of a PRIMUS BDW Steam Sterilizer
- Easy on-site installation removes the need to transport waste to an external treatment facility
- Cost reduction in treatment and management of potentially infectious waste compared to alternatives
- Reduced liability for a waste producer due to no off-site treatment processing
- Relatively modest price and operating cost allow for quicker financial payback
- Chemical-free process
- No radiation is used
- Clean and environmentally safe technology
- Sterilized biological waste which has been processed to remove sharps is simple to dispose of in a municipal landfill
It is readily apparent that the need for waste steam sterilizers will continue to increase in the coming years as governments, companies, and individuals work to contain and combat the negative effects of infectious diseases around the world.
Public opinion, coupled with new laws and regulations, will assist in driving current and future demand.
It is believed that PRIMUS will continue to play a vitally important role in this worldwide effort against contagion.
Have a question or having difficulties? Talk to Dave Schall, our PRIMUS sterilizer expert who is here to assist you anytime at 877.679.7800 extension 1212 or email at email@example.com.
Visit us at spire-is.com